Instagram

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

School Daze


I was in the St. Paul's parking lot at 6:40 this morning. I was trying to register Owen for preschool and they only had one slot left in his age group. To my surprise, there were already two other dads in line. One had been there since 6:15. I stayed in my car b/c I knew they were already ahead of me, and I could see if anyone else entered the parking lot. At 7:15 a van pulled up and I got out and began walking the short distance to the door. She took off running, but I made it there before her. You would think she would have come earlier if it was that important. I immediately asked what age the other parents children were, and they were all older than Owen. I thought I had a pretty good chance.

The four of us stood out there in the freezing cold weather. When another parent arrived, she started asking us about age, etc. and the other (running) lady told her the youngest class was 2-year-olds. I was pretty certain she was wrong, and since I was the only parent that had a brochure and registration form, I took a look. I was right, but I wanted to keep that info to myself.

The director felt sorry for us and opened the door at 8:20, ten minutes ahead of schedule. We all signed a sheet, and I could barely write my name despite the fact I came prepared with gloves and hat. We had to wait until 9:00 and luckily the two guys in front of me had kids in different classes. Owen got the last slot in the toddler class and I was so relieved. I can't believe what a competition it is to get your kid into preschool. I was so nervous on the short drive from home to school...like I was going to a job interview. I'm so glad he will get to start this fall, and that will make it easier to register him next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment