Instagram

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

first soccer game

Owen had his first soccer game on Saturday.  He was so incredibly shy...like, paralyzingly shy.  This was, of course, the first time where it wasn't just his teammates on the field.  And they weren't just kicking the ball around.  This was an actual game where he was supposed to take the ball (with his feet) away from other kids.  Well, Owen is anything but aggressive and couldn't really wrap his head around taking something from someone. 


For most of his time on the field he just stood there waving at us on the sidelines.  I, in complete soccer dad fashion, kept telling him to get the ball, run, etc...Who knew that was going to happen? 

They took turns on the field and on his second outing he just sort of shut down.  I was trying to explain what he needed to do in the middle of the game.  Don't get me wrong, he wasn't the only one standing there.  He is probably the oldest kid out there and he is definitely the tallest.  With everything else going on right now, I haven't taken much time to explain soccer to him, so I actually blame myself for him not knowing what to do or expect. 

I was really down at this point, feeling like I had failed him by not preparing him for the event.  At this point I had given up taking pictures.  The coach chose him to kick the ball at the start of what was to be the final quarter. 

He thought about if for a minute and then something clicked.  He kicked the ball, and followed it all the way down the field to the goal!  He made the final goal in his first soccer game!  I was so excited and I couldn't believe what was happening that I didn't take any pictures.  Womp, womp.  I will never forget that moment and the look on his face.  It played like slow motion then and it still does now.  After that, he had a pep in his step and his confidence was renewed.  And then the game was over.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment