Instagram

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rough Ride

Wow...what a rough couple of days.  Last Friday night Owen woke up saying his tooth hurt.  We didn't see anything odd in there so we thought he must just have had a bad dream.  He woke up again that night so we thought something must be going on.  He was a little out of sorts Saturday morning but we had planned to go shopping for Fall clothes.  I asked him a million times if he just wanted to stay home and he said no.  This was mostly due to the fact that I had promised rides if he was good and patient while we shopped.  He was pretty good and we even went to lunch afterwards.

That night he was supposed to spend the night with my parents and we went to EVO with friends.  My mom called around 9:00 and said he wanted to go home.  This was a first, but I asked her to take him to our house and put him down there.  He was fine that night and went back to their house the next morning to spend the day.

We were painting (again) and I went to pick him up about 6:00.  He was burning up.  I immediately took his temp (over 103!) and put him in the tub.  While I was washing his hair he said his right ear hurt.  Again, I wasn't sure if I should believe him or not.  He has been telling us "stories" constantly.  I touched his left ear and he didn't say anything.  I touched his right ear and he said nothing.

He went to bed and woke up crying around 11:00.  He had thrown up everywhere!  What a smell!  He wanted me, so I put him in the tub again and eventually on our bed.  Brig cleaned up the mess.  We got him back in his bed around midnight and his fever was still really high.  I called the after hours service and talked to a really nice nurse who re-assured us that as long as his fever wasn't 105 we could wait until morning.  He woke up again, but I was glad to be able to give him another dose of pain reliever.

I stayed home with him that morning.  Brig was done midday and I went to work while she took him to the doctor.  Sure enough he had an ear infection and the toothache/stomach stuff was probably all tied to that.

I picked up his antibiotic on my way home and immediately gave him the first dose...which he promptly spat right back at me.  Oh...the joys of giving your child something he needs and him refusing your help!  Little did I know this was just the beginning.

I think he slept fine that night.  Tuesday morning my dad came over to stay with him until Brig made it home.  She tried for two hours to get him to take his meds.  He finally took it b/c we put it in his drink.  He has only been eating once a day since this started.

When I came home yesterday,  he had had a major blowout during nap.  Everything, including all his buddies, had to be washed, again, for the third or fourth time in as many days.  He refused all our suggestions of food and beverage and at this point I start worrying about dehydration.

And then comes the extremely fun task of getting him to take more meds.  Hmmm...how do you get your child to take meds when he won't even drink juice, gatorade, water, milk or even chocolate milk?  You beg, plead, promise the moon, etc...and nothing works.  I was this close to pulling out the Christmas tree.  Seriously, I was willing to do whatever it took for him to take the f#$!@*g medicine.  He has noticed the color on Brig's toenails lately and I even offered that!  I was willing to let my son paint his toenails (and mine) if he would just take his meds.  NOPE.

I finally had enough and told Brig to just hold him down.  He gagged and nearly choked on one little sip so then I knew that wouldn't work.  And we had already wasted an entire dose.  At 9:00 we gave up and put him to bed.  He was clearly exhausted too b/c he didn't want books or songs.

He didn't wake up today until 9:00 and asked for a banana!  Hallelujah!  Brig put more meds in his juice and he drank some.  We thought he was actually going to start eating and drinking and that we were home free until she noticed a rash on his legs and stomach.

She called the doctor, they went in and decided to just give him an antibiotic shot.  I actually threatened this last night, and no, I'm not proud of myself.  I kept telling him it would hurt hoping he would cooperate.  Dr. P thinks the rash is not an allergic reaction and that his ear already looks much better.  Since he is no longer taking any oral meds, his stomach issues should clear up too.  He even ate pretzels and drank gatorade while at the office, which is great since he lost 1/2 pound since Monday.

O should be fine now and Dr. P sees no reason why we can't go to the mountains tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment